Sunday 20 November 2011

Post-HCI journey reflection (Goodrich)

When I first set foot into the compound, I was awed by the scale of the company. I did not expect it to be so spacious and I normally have a weird concept that such manufacturing company usually cramp as much equipment in a small place as possible, also working in the unbearable sweltering heat. Finally, I understood how globalisation had revolutionised our world, the way we work and our working environment.

As we were led towards the briefing room, I can't help to notice that the large space gave a very positive effect on the working atmosphere. There was no feeling of being constraint physically as well as mentally, making working conditions ideal. During the briefing, we were introduced to basic flight mechanics: lift, thrust, weight and drag, and how they affect the plane. The sharing of the stress management part was the most intrigueing part for me. For the other parts, I have a basic knowledge behind but I realised after the talk that stress management had also became an important part of ensuring that the plane is well maintained and well managed. The most interesting part was the thermal physics behind it. I would hardly consider thermal stress significant for airplanes, but after the sharing I realised that it was an integral part that ensures the structural integrity of the plane. Now that I understand the importance of this concept, I will make sure that my future engineering projects if I ever take on, would take care of both physical stress as well the invisible stress, like heat. A video about the repair of a damaged part of the plane was also shown. It is remarkable that the video's intruction was almost fool-proof. making the most effort to make it almost perfect for anyone using. In fact, it was so precise that an average Joe would be able to repair that particular damaged part!

The plant tour introduced me to a whole new dimension of engineering. After sufficient safety procedures had been put in place, we entered the 1st room, with a machine that could cut up composite materials very accurately. The care and considerations put in to ensure that the process would be successful struck me. I would hardly imagine that the humidity as well as the temperature would affect the working process that much. Also, I realised that the piece of machinary was highly complicated and troublesome to operate and it was a pain to get it to set up, prepare the procedures to cut different materials. Now I have a new found respect for the people who put in so much effort to make these products.

Moving on the 2nd room. It was the room that compressed the soft, flimsy composite material into solid hard plates using vacuum pumps. It amazes me how the transformation takes place and makes me wonder if there is any other applications for this technology. However, the process was highly labour-intensive and required a battlion of workers just to keep the production line flowing. With the emergence of so many machines, I believe that this method of production would eventually be obsolete and the sustainabilty of the company would be compromise. Therefore, I believe that there should be more effort put into creating a new, more efficicent method to govern the production process. Just my thoughts.

Finally, the laser positioning table was perhaps the most straightforward. Simply position the composite material in the suitable place. It simple. Perhaps so simple that others may overlook this process. However, Goodrich had to ensure that the products they make had a quality assurance thus this process should not be overlooked and places emphasise of this area.


Practical knowledge I learn in school

Engineering require maths. Everyone knows that. Have you wondered as a student "How would I ever benefit my life next time when I learn logarithms in school?" Perhaps if you take on engineering, the log would be your lifelong partner. Calculation is an integral part of almost every profession. Even famous paintings draw by world class artist involves calculation. The Venusian Man? Ring any bell?

How about physics? The answer is the most basic : The 3 Laws of Newton. Also, schools give us a background of how lasers work as well as the investigation of material sciences. These prove invaluable to us to our working lives next time. And after all this time, I realised that there was actually a practical use of thermocouple, and I am glad that I already understand the process that goes through the device.

No comments:

Post a Comment